Systems Biology Department
(925) 294-2955 / email@example.com
At Sandia/California, I have established programs to develop biosensors and bioanalytical instrumentation. I also cofounded a major facility, the Chemical and Radiation Detector Laboratory.
My recent research activities, funded by the Department of Energy and other government sponsors, have focused on (1) the development of novel microseparations methods for proteins, peptides, and DNA; (2) the intersection of these methods with classical protein chemistry; and (3) analytical methods, such as high-resolution mass spectrometry, for solving outstanding problems in proteomics and structural genomics.
I have also initiated the following projects during my Sandia career:
- The development of an organophospate sensor based on enzyme-coated ion-sensitive field-effect transistors
- The use of sol-gel techniques for improved fiberoptic sensors
- The development of ultrasensitive fluorescence-based assays for biotoxins using self-assembled materials,
- Affinity electrochromatography with laser-induced fluorescence detection
- Microelectrode array-based sensors for pathogen detection
- The use of combinatorial chemical synthesis and computational design of molecular-recognition materials for sensor and antitoxin development
Top of page ^
- Jacobsen, RB, KL Sale, MJ Ayson, P Novak, JH Hong, P Lane, NL Wood, GH Kruppa, MM Young, JS Schoeniger. (2006). Structure and dynamics of dark-state bovine rhodopsin revealed by chemical cross-linking and high-resolution mass spectrometry. Protein Science 15:1303.
- Slade, AL, JS Schoeniger, DY Sasaki, CM Yip. (2006). In situ scanning probe microscopy studies of tetanus toxin–membrane interactions. Biophysical Journal 91:4565.
- Novak, P, WE Haskins, MJ Ayson, RB Jacobsen, JS Schoeniger, MD Leavell, MM Young, GH Kruppa. (2005). Unambiguous assignment of intramolecular chemical cross-links in modified mammalian membrane proteins by Fourier transform-tandem mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 77:5101.
- Zhou, CLE, AT Zemla, D Roe, M Young, M Lam, JS Schoeniger, R Balhorn. (2005). Computational approaches for identification of conserved/unique binding pockets in the A chain of ricin. Bioinformatics 21:3089.
- Fujii, N, RB Jacobsen, NL Wood, JS Schoeniger, RK Guy. (2004). A novel protein crosslinking reagent for the determination of moderate resolution protein structures by mass spectrometry (MS3-D). Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 14:427.
- Leavell, MD, P Novak, CR Behrens, JS Schoeniger, GH Kruppa. (2004). Strategy for selective chemical cross-linking of tyrosine and lysine residues. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry 15:1604.
- Novak, P, GH Kruppa, MM Young, JS Schoeniger. (2004). A top-down method for the determination of residue specific solvent accessibility in proteins. Journal of Mass Spectrometry 39:322.
- Sale, K, JL Faulon, GA Gray, JS Schoeniger, MM Young. (2004). Optimal bundling of transmembrane helices using sparse distance constraints. Protein Science 13:2613.
- Wang, G, J De, JS Schoeniger, DC Roe, RG Carbonell. (2004). A hexamer peptide ligand that binds selectively to staphylococcal enterotoxin B: isolation from a solid phase combinatorial library. Journal of Peptide Research 64:51-64.
- Kruppa, GH, JS Schoeniger, MM Young. (2003). A top-down approach to protein structural studies using chemical cross-linking and Fourier transform tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 17:1.
- Novak, P, MM Young, JS Schoeniger, GH Kruppa. (2003). A top-down approach to protein structure studies using chemical cross-linking and Fourier transform mass spectrometry. European Journal of Mass Spectrometry 9:623.
- Simonian, AL, JK Grimsley, AW Flounders, JS Schoeniger, TC Cheng, JJ DeFrank, JR Wild. (2001). Enzyme-based biosensor for the direct detection of fluorine-containing organophosphates. Analytica Chimica Acta 442:15.
- Singh, AK, SH Harrison, JS Schoeniger. (2000). Gangliosides as receptors for biological toxins: development of sensitive fluoroimmunoassays using ganglioside-bearing liposomes. Analytical Chemistry 72:6019.
- Flounders, AW, AK Singh, JV Volponi, SC Carichner, K Wally, AS Simonian, JR Wild, JS Schoeniger. (1999). Development of sensors for direct detection of organophosphates. Part II: Organophosphate hydrolase immobilized to sol-gel coated field effect transistors. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 14:715.
- Singh, AK, AW Flounders, JV Volponi, CS Ashley, K Wally, JS Schoeniger. (1999). Development of sensors for direct detection of organophosphates. Part I: Immobilization, characterization, and stabilization of acetylcholinesterase and organophosphate hydrolase on silica supports. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 14:703.
- Singh, AK, JS Schoeniger, RG Carbonell. (1999). Liposomes as signal-enhancement agents in immunodiagnostic applications. In Biosensors and Their Applications, VC Yang, TT Ngo, Eds., Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishing: New York, pp. 131–145.
- Thomas, DH, DJ Rakestraw, JS Schoeniger, V Lopez-Avila, J Van Emon. (1999). Selective trace enrichment by immunoaffinity capillary electrochromatography on-line with capillary zone electrophoresis - laser-induced fluorescence. Electrophoresis 20:57.
- Kao, HP, N Yang, JS Schoeniger. (1998). Enhancement of evanescent fluorescence from fiber optic sensors by thin film sol gel coatings. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 15:2163.
- Kao, HP, JS Schoeniger. (1998). Elliptic trough reflector for the collection of light from linear sources. Applied Optics 37:4194.
- Kao, HP, JS Schoeniger. (1997). Hollow cylindrical wave-guides for use as evanescent fluorescence-based sensors: Effect of numerical aperture on collected signal. Applied Optics 36:8199.
- Hsu, EW, JS Schoeniger, R Bowtell, NR Aiken, A Horsman, SJ Blackband. (1995). A modified imaging sequence for accurate T2 measurements using NMR microscopy. Journal of Magnetic Resonance B 109:66.
- O’Dell, WG, JS Schoeniger, SJ Blackband, ER McVeigh. (1994). A modified quadrupole gradient set for use in high resolution MRI tagging. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 32:246.
- Schoeniger, JS, N Aiken, E Hsu, SJ Blackband. (1994). Relaxation-time and diffusion NMR microscopy of single neurons. Journal of Magnetic Resonance B 103:261.
- Schoeniger, JS, SJ Blackband. (1994). The design and construction of a NMR microscopy probe. Journal of Magnetic Resonance B 104:127.
Top of page ^