Systems Biology Department
(925) 294-2057 / email@example.com
- 20 years of experience in biochemisty and molecular microbiology and have worked at Sandia National Laboratories for the past 8 years.
- Research interests focus on biochemical and molecular biological analysis of microbes that are play important roles in bioenergy and biodefense.
- Prior to joining Sandia National Laboratories, held a Professional research staff position in the Geosciences department at Princeton University. While in the Geosciences department, studied the role of trace metal limitation on carbon acquisition in microalgae. As part of these studies, identified the first biological use of cadmium and purified and cloned the gene for the only known cadmium metalloenzyme, the cadmium carbonic anhydrase.
- Areas of expertise include molecular microbiology, phycology, host pathogen interactions, protein science/proteomics, genomics, and biodefense.
- Currently serving as Principal Investigator (PI) on the Rapid Threat Organism Recognition (RapTOR) Grand Challenge. Project goals are to develop microfluidic and bioinformatic tools to identify and characterize unknown biothreats.
- Served as PI on a project to enhance triacylglycerol production in microalgae through metabolic engineering. Used proteomic and genomic analysis to identify starvation-induced genes and molecular genetic tools to alter their expression levels.
- Served as PI on a 1-year Cooperative Institute for Coastal and Estuarine Environmental Technology-funded project to develop electrophoretic separation methods for a select suite of marine toxins. The project team demonstrated the successful separation of domoic acid, saxitoxin, and neosaxtitoxin and the successful fluorescent labeling and sensitive detection of domoic acid in microfluidic chip platform.
- Served as Co-PI on a proteomic and genomic analysis project in marine diatoms to identify and characterize genes involved in frustule formation and morphogenesis. Performed SAGE analysis to identify genes that are upregulated during frustule formation.
- Served as PI on a project to utilize hyperspectral imaging to characterize virulence protein complex formation in Francisella novicida. Project revealed the interaction of the virulence proteins and the subcellular localization of the resulting complex.
- Served as Lead Microbiologist for a team that developed methods for rapid spore detection via analysis of small acid soluble proteins (SASPs) and rapid determination of viability via analysis of early germination de novo protein synthesis in a microfluidic approach.
Top of page ^
- VanderNoot, VA, SS Branda, A Jokerst, S Gaucher, PD Lane, TW Lane. (2010). Rapid Assessment of Spore Viability through On-chip Gel Electrophoresis of Germination Proteins. Manuscript in preparation.
- Lane, PD, KL Sale, JN Kaiser, C Binns, BA Simmons, TW Lane. (2010). Identification of Putative Frustule Biogenesis Genes by SAGE Analysis and Comparative Genomics in Marine Diatoms. Manuscript in preparation.
- Zendejas, FJ, P Benke, PD Lane, BA Simmons, TW Lane. (2010). Characterization of Biodiesel Derived from Vegetable, and Microalgae (Thalassiosira pseudonana and Phaeodactylum tricornutum) Triacylglycerols. In review.
- Kaiser, JN, JA Timlin, RM Noek, MB Sinclair, HDT Jones, RW Davis, TW Lane. (2010). Subcellular targeting of the Type VI secretion system in Francisella novicida. Manuscript in preparation.
- Van Benthem, MH, TW Lane, RW Davis, PD Lane, MR Keenan. (2010). PARAFAC Modeling of Three-Way Hyperspectral Images: Endogenous Fluorophores as Health Biomarkers in Aquatic Species. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems (Accepted for publication).
- Davis, RW, JA Timlin, JN Kaiser, MB Sinclair, HDT Jones, TW Lane. (2010). Accurate Detection of Low Levels of Fluorescence Emission in Autofluorescent Background: Francisella-Infected Macrophage Cells. Microscopy and Microanalysis 16:478.
- Yu, E, F Zendejas, PD Lane, S Gaucher, BA Simmons, TW Lane. (2009). Triacylglyceride Accumulation in the Model Diatoms Thalassiosira pseudonana and Phaeodactylum tricornutum During Starvation. Journal of Applied Phycology 21(6):669.
- Fruetel, JA, JAA West, BJ Debusschere, K Hukari, TW Lane, HN Najm, J Ortega, RF Renzi, I Shokair, VA VanderNoot. (2008). Rapid Identification of Viruses using Microfluidic Protein Profiling and Bayesian Classification. Analytical Chemistry 80(23):9005.
- Perroud, TD, JN Kaiser, JC Sy, TW Lane, CS Branda, AK Singh, KD Patel. (2008). Microfluidic-Based Cell Sorting of Francisella tularensis Infected Macrophages using Optical Forces. Analytical Chemistry 80(16):6365.
- Timlin, JA, RM Noek, JN Kaiser, MB Sinclair, HDT Jones, RW Davis, TW Lane. (2007). Accurate Measurement of Cellular Autofluorescence is Critical for the Imaging of Host-Pathogen Interactions. In Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues VI. Vol. 6859. SPIE, San Jose, CA.
- Pizarro, SA, P Lane, TW Lane, E Cruz, B Haroldsen, VA VanderNoot. (2007). Rapid bacterial characterization using protein profiling in an integrated microchip separations platform. Electrophoresis 28(24):4697.
- Montsant, A, AE Allen, S Coesel, A De Martino, A Falciatore, M Heijde, K Jabbari, U Maheswari, M Mangogna, E Rayko, M Siaut, A Vardi, KE Apt, JA Berges, A Chiovitti, MZ Hadi, TW Lane, JC Lippmeier, D Martinez, B Palenik, MS Parker, GJ Pazour, MA Saito, K Thamatrakoln, DS Rokhsar, EV Armbrust, C Bowler. (2007). Insights into diatom cell biology from the genome sequence of the centric diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana. Journal of Phycology 43(3):585.
- Gonzales, A, YK Light, Z Zhang, T Iqbal, TW Lane, A Martino. (2005). Proteomic analysis of the CO2 concentrating mechanism in the open-ocean cyanobacteria Synechococcus WH8102. Canadian Journal of Botany 83(7):735.
- Lane, TW, MA Saito, GN George, IJ Pickering, RC Prince, FMM Morel. (2005). Biochemistry: a cadmium enzyme from a marine diatom. Nature 435:42.
- Armbrust, EV, JA Berges, C Bowler, BR Green, D Martinez, NH Putnam, SG Zhou, AE Allen, KE Apt, M Bechner, MA Brzezinski, BK Chaal, A Chiovitti, AK Davis, MS Demarest, JC Detter, T Glavina, D Goodstein, MZ Hadi, U Hellsten, M Hildebrand, BD Jenkins, J Jurka,VV Kapitonov, N Kroger, WWY Lau, TW Lane, FW Larimer, JC Lippmeier, S Lucas, M Medina, A Montsant, M Obornik, MS Parker, B Palenik, GJ Pazour, PM Richardson, TA Rynearson, MA Saito, DC Schwartz, K Thamatrakoln, K Valentin, A Vardi, FP Wilkerson, DS Rokhsar. (2004). The genome of the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana: ecology, evolution, and metabolism. Science 306:79.
- Heffelfinger, GS, A Martino, A Gorin, Y Xu, MD Rintoul III, A Geist, HM Al-Hashimi, GS Davidson, JL Faulon, L Frink, DM Haaland, WE Hart, E Jakobsson, TW Lane, M Li, P Locascio, F Olken, V Olman, B Palenik, SJ Plimpton, DC Roe, NF Samatova, M Shah, A Shoshoni, CEM Strauss, EV Thomas, JA Timlin, D Xu. (2003). Carbon Sequestration in Synechococcus Sp.: From Molecular Machines to Hierarchical Modeling. OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology 4(6):305.
- Scoiochetti, SA, TW Lane, N Ohta, A Newton. (2002). Protein sequences and cellular factors required for polar localization of a histidine kinase in Caulobacter crescentus. The Journal of Bacteriology 184:6037.
- Morel, FMM, EH Cox, AML Kraepiel, TW Lane, AJ Milligan, I Schaperdoth, JR Reinfelder, PD Tortell. (2002). Acquisition of Inorganic Carbon by the Marine Datom Thalassiosira weissflogii. Functional Plant Biology 29(2-3):301.
- Cox, EH, GL McLendon, FMM Morel, TW Lane, RC Prince, IJ Pickering, GN George. (2000). The active site structure of Thalassiosira weissflogii carbonic anhydrase 1. Biochemistry 39:12128.
- Lane, TW, FMM Morel. (2000). A biological function for cadmium in marine diatoms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 97:4627.
- Lane, TW, FMM Morel. (2000). Regulation of carbonic anhydrase expression by zinc, cobalt, and carbon dioxide in the marine diatom Thalassiosira weissflogii. Plant Physiology 123:345.
- Cullen, JT, TW Lane, FMM Morel, RM Sherrell. (1999). Dependence of Phytoplankton Cadmium Uptake on pCO2 in Oceanic Surface Waters. Nature 402:165.
- Roberts, SB, TW Lane, FMM Morel. (1997). Carbonic Anhydrase in the Marine Diatom Thalassiosira weissflogii (Bacillariophyta). Journal of Phycology 33:845.
- West, JA, BA Horn, TW Lane, JA Fruetel. (2003). Identification of biotoxin variants and viral signatures using the hand-portable mu ChemLab (TM)/CB detection system. Toxicological Sciences; 72:164.
- Hecht, GB, T Lane, N Ohta, JM Sommer, A Newton. (1995). An essential single domain response regulator required for normal cell division and differentiation in Caulobacter crescentus. The EMBO Journal 14:3915.
- Ohta, N, T Lane, EG Ninfa, JM Sommer, A Newton. (1992). A histidine protein kinase homologue required for regulation of bacterial cell division and differentiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 9:10297.
- Lane, T, F Eiserling. (1990). Genetic control of capsid length in bacteriophage T4. VII. A model of length regulation based on DNA size.A. Journal of Structural Biology 104:9.
- Lane, T, P Serwer, SJ Hayes, F Eiserling. (1990). Quantized viral DNA packaging revealed by rotating gel electrophoresis. Virology 174:472.
Top of page ^
||Principal Member of the Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA
|2002 – 2009
||Senior Member of Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA
|1996 – 2001
||Professional Research Staff, Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
|1990 – 1996
||Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
Top of page ^
- Phycological Society of America
- American Society for Microbiology
- Registered with CDC Select Agent Program
||PhD, Microbiology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
||BS, Microbiology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Top of page ^