Biotechnology and Bioengineering Department
(925) 294-6291 / email@example.com
My primary research focus is the realization of comprehensive lab-on-a-chip approaches for rapidly detecting biomolecules that are present in trace quantities within complex biofluids and matrixes, such as blood, saliva, or extracted cells. Our group is developing a number of on-chip capabilities, including sample preparation, sample concentration, buffer exchange, mixing, chemical reactions, separation, and quantitative fluorescence-based detection strategies. Key projects include developing portable medical diagnostics for the presymptomatic detection of disease, infection, or intoxication. We emphasize the use of systems engineering to realize these self-contained deployable devices. Additional projects are investigating microfluidic systems as research tools to understand infection and host response and to facilitate rapid and low-cost biomarker discovery and verification. Specific technology advancements have included preconcentration, mixing, and reactions at size-exclusion membranes integrated with gel electrophoretic separations on-chip for protein immunoassays or sizing by SDS PAGE. We have also developed microscale immobilized pH gradients for high-resolution isoelectric focusing. My doctoral thesis work focused primarily on the novel diffusion-based analysis of binding interactions enabled by low Reynolds number flow conditions within microchannels. Additional contributions were made in the area of on-chip valving and pumping with ferromagnetic fluids and anhydrous storage of proteins on-chip.
Top of page ^
- Portable microfluidic platform for rapid detection of biotoxins (funded by the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease, National Institute of Health)
- Integrated microfluidic system for oral diagnostics (funded by National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institute of Health).
- Biomarker discovery and verification (funded by Sandia Laboratory Directed Research & Development)
- Deployable Pathogen Diagnostic System (funded by Sandia Laboratory Directed Research & Development)
- Portable diagnostics of rickettsial infection (funded by the Postdoctoral Training Program jointly sponsored by Sandia and the University of Texas Medical Branch)
Top of page ^
- Sommer, GJ, AV Hatch. (2009). Review: Isoelectric focusing in microfluidic devices. Electrophoresis 30:742.
- Sommer, GJ, AK Singh, AV Hatch. (2009). Enrichment and fractionation of proteins via microscale pore limit electrophoresis. Lab on a Chip 9:2729.
- Meagher, RJ, AV Hatch, RF Renzi, AK Singh. (2008). An integrated, portable platform for sensitive and rapid detection of biological toxins. Lab on a Chip 8:2046.
- Sommer, GJ, AK Singh, AV Hatch. (2008). On-chip isoelectric focusing using photopolymerized immobilized pH gradients. Analytical Chemistry 80:3327.
- Herr, AE, AV Hatch, WV Giannobile, DJ Throckmorton, H Tran, JS Brennan, AK Singh. (2007). Integrated microfluidic platform for oral diagnostics. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1098:362.
- Herr, AE, AV Hatch, DJ Throckmorton, H Tran, JS Brennan, WV Giannobile, AK Singh. (2007). Microfluidic immunoassays as rapid saliva-based clinical diagnostics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:5268.
- Hatch, AV, AE Herr, DJ Throckmorton, JS Brennan, AK Singh. (2006). Integrated preconcentration SDS-PAGE of proteins in microchips using photopatterned cross-linked polyacrylamide gels. Analytical Chemistry 78:4976.
- Chang, HN, AV Hatch, KR Hawkins, P Yager. (2005). Lab-on-a-chip and fluorescence sensing on the microscale. In Fluorescence Sensors and Biosensors, RB Thompson, Ed. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, pp. 233–261.
- Garcia E, JR Kirkham, AV Hatch, KR Hawkins, P Yager. (2004). Controlled microfluidic reconstitution of functional protein from an anhydrous storage depot. Lab on a Chip 4:78.
- Hatch, AV, E Garcia, P Yager. (2004). Diffusion-based analysis of molecular interactions in microfluidic devices. Proceedings of the IEEE 92:126.
- Hatch, AV, AE Kamholz, KR Hawkins, MS Munson, EA Schilling, BH Weigl, P Yager. (2001). A rapid diffusion immunoassay in a T-sensor. Nature Biotechnology 19:461.
- Hatch, AV, AE Kamholz, G Holman, P Yager, KF Bohringer. (2001). A ferrofluidic magnetic micropump. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems 10:215.
- Hatch, AV, T Sano, J Misasi, CL Smith. (1999). Rolling circle amplification of DNA immobilized on solid surfaces and its application to multiplex mutation detection. Genetic Analysis – Biomolecular Engineering 15:35.
Top of page ^
- Hatch, AV, RJ Meagher, AK Singh. (2008). Portable diagnostics of health/disease and toxin exposure. 11th Annual Force Health Protection Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Aug 2008. (Oral).
- Hatch, AV, RJ Meagher, YC Wang, GJ Sommer, AK Singh. (2008). Rapid portable diagnostic platform for toxin/pathogen exposure scenarios. Chemical and Biological Defense Physical Science and Technology Conference, New Orleans, LA, November 2008.
- Sommer, GJ, AK Singh, AV Hatch. (2008). Precise microscale polymer gradients applied to isoelectric focusing and pore limit electrophoresis. The 12th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS2008), San Diego, CA, October 2008.
- Wang, YC, AK Singh, AV Hatch. (2008). Ultra-rapid sample preconcentration under slant field using high aspect ratio nanoporous membranes. The 12th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS2008), San Diego, CA, October 2008. (Oral).
- Hatch, AV, RJ Meagher, DS Reichmuth, AE Herr, MB Sinclair, DM Haaland, AK Singh. (2007). Hyperspectral & spatial multiplexing of ultrasensitive immunoassays for detecting toxin exposure. The 11th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS2007), Paris, France, Oct 2007. (Oral presented by Amy Herr).
- Hatch, AV, AK Singh. (2006). Voltage-gated protein transport through nanoporous membranes. The 10th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS2006), Tokyo, Japan, November 2006. (Oral).
- Herr, AE, AV Hatch, DJ Throckmorton, HM Tran, JS Brennan, WV Giannobile, AK Singh. (2006). Rapid on-chip immunoassays for detection of endogenous disease biomarkers in saliva. American Chemical Society National Meeting & Exposition, San Francisco, CA, September 2006.
- Hatch, AV, AE Herr, DJ Throckmorton, JS Brennan, WV Giannobile, AK Singh. (2005). On-chip preconcentration of proteins for picomolar detection in oral fluids. Micro Total Analysis Systems 2005, Boston, MA, October 2005. (Oral). Proceedings of µTAS 2005 pp. 1042–1044.
- Hatch, AV, E Garcia, P Yager. (2003). Analysis of molecular binding to human serum albumin using a T-sensor. Micro Total Analysis Systems 2003, Squaw Valley, CA, October 2003. Proceedings of µTAS 2003 pp. 1215–1218.
- Yager, P, AV Hatch, C Cabrera, E Schilling, K Macounova, K Hawkins, A Kamholz. (2002). Development of polymeric laminate microfluidic devices for microanalytical systems. CSC 2002, Vancouver, BC, June 2002. (Oral, presented by Anson Hatch).
- Yager, P, AV Hatch, K Hawkins, H Chang. (2002). The diffusion immunoassay: A rapid assay in microfluidic and static multi-well formats. SmallTalk 2002, San Diego, CA, July 2002.
- Hatch, AV, P Yager. (2001). Diffusion immunoassay in polyacrylamide hydrogels. Micro Total Analysis Systems 2001, Monterey, CA, October 2001. Proceedings of the µTAS Symposium 2001 pp. 571–572.
- Weigl, BH, AV Hatch, A Kamholz, P Yager. (2000).Novel immunoassay formats for integrated microfluidic circuits - diffusion immunoassays (DIA). SPIE 2000, January 2000. Proceedings of SPIE 3912:50.
- Hatch, AV, B Weigl, D Zebert, P Yager. (1999). Immunoanalysis in a T-sensor. SPIE Conference on microfluidics, Santa Clara, CA, September 1999. (Oral). Proceedings of SPIE - Microfluidic Devices and Systems II 3877:169.
Top of page ^
- Use of liquid junction potentials for electrophoresis without applied voltage in a microfluidic channel. U.S. Patent 7,141,429.
- Microscale diffusion immunoassay. U.S. Patent 6,541,213. April 2003.
- Magnetically actuated fluid handling devices for microfluidic applications. U.S. Patent 6,415,821. July 2002.
- Magnetically actuated fluid handling devices for microfluidic applications. U.S. Patent 6,408,884. June 2002.
- Nucleic acid arrays and methods of synthesis. U.S. Patent 6,284,497. September 2001.
Top of page ^