Systems Biology Department
(925) 294-4876 / email@example.com
I am interested in the development and application of micro-scale analytical tools that comprehensively describe biological systems. In particular, I am pursuing advances in sample preparation that enable standardized multidimensional processing for high throughput analysis.
My current work focuses on demonstration of a modular automated processing system (MAPS) for construction of sample-customized sample prep trains. MAPS comprises the supporting hardware infrastructure and a set of modules to manipulate and process microliter-volume samples. Custom-built interconnect hardware including fittings, manifolds, pumps and microvalves designed by Sandia engineers provide low dead volume connections to effectively counteract sample broadening due to diffusion. At the heart of this system are the 1Ál to 500 Ál volume cartridges which enable assembly of packed beds with any type of material. Operations routinely used in bioanalytical laboratories, such as concentration, fractionation, lysing, filtering, sieving, desalting, contaminant removal, digestion and buffer exchange are miniaturized in these cartridges and adapted to function reproducibly in an on-line format.
The automated modular architecture enables straightforward integration of necessary modules to perform multidimensional processing and built a system that can identify and quantify low abundance species and their post translational modifications.
Top of page ^
- Chirica, G, J Lachmann, J Chan. (2006). Size exclusion chromatography of microliter volumes for on-line use in low-pressure microfluidic systems. Analytical Chemistry 78:5362.
- (2006). Modular automated processing system (MAPS) for bioanalysis. Research Highlights, Sandia Communicator 07.
- Reichmuth, DS, GS Chirica, BJ Kirby. (2005). Analysis of peptides using an integrated microchip HPLC-MS/MS system. Royal society of chemistry special publications 297:318.
- Patel, K, G Chirica, B Mosier, R Crocker, E Bouvier, K Fadgen. (2004). Capillary-scale electrokinetic micropumps. Proceedings 27th International Symposium on capillary chromatography, Riva del Garda, Italy (10-17).
- Sapra, R, SP Gaucher, J Lachmann, GM Buffleben, GS Chirica, JE Comer, JW Peterson, AK Chopra, AK Singh. (2006). Proteomic analyses of murine macrophages treated with Bacillus anthracis lethal toxin. Microbial Pathogenesis 41:157.
- Reichmuth, DS, GS Chirica, BJ Kirby. (2003). Increasing the performance of high-pressure, high efficiency electrokinetic micropumps using zwitterionic solute additives. Sensors and Actuators B 92:37.
- Doneanu, A, GS Chirica, VT Remcho. (2002). Starburst dendrimers as macromolecular pore templates for stationary phases in capillary chromatography. Journal of Separation Science 25:1252.
- Chirica, GS, VT Remcho. (2000). Fritless capillary columns for HPLC and CEC prepared by immobilizing the stationary phase in an organic polymer matrix. Analytical Chemistry 72:3605.
- Chirica, GS, VT Remcho. (2000). A simple procedure for the preparation of fritless columns by entrapping conventional HPLC sorbents. Electrophoresis 21:3093.
- Chirica, GS, VT Remcho. (1999). Silicate entrapped columns – new columns designed for capillary electrochromatography. Electrophoresis 20:50.
- Chirica, GS, VT Remcho. (2001). Novel monolithic columns with templated porosity. Journal of Chromatography A 924:223.
- Allendorf, MD, JA Fruetel, GS Chirica, R Crocker, S Ferko, G Hux, B Mosier, K Patel, R Renzi, V VanderNoot. (2006). A hand-held microanalytical instrument for rapid chip-based electrophoretic separations of proteins. Internal Sandia Report SAND2006-2457, 185p.
- Kent, MS, JS Weems, H Yim, JG Curro, JG Huber, J Fruetel, GS Chirica, G Lopez,J Bieker, TS Phely-Bobin. Sequestration of bacteria and viruses for preconcentration and water purification. SAND2004-4642P, 55p.
Top of page ^
- Vallano, PT, GS Chirica, VT Remcho. (2000). Microscale High-Performance Liquid Chromatography and the Evolution of Capillary Electrochromatography. Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, RA Meyers, ed., John Wiley and Sons: Chichester, 11402-11428.
- Remcho, VT, GS Chirica, A Doneanu, S Clark. (2003). Applications in Capillary Electrochromatography. Electrokinetic Phenomena: Principles and Applications in Analytical Chemistry and Microchip Technology, A Guttman, A Rathore, ed., Marcel Dekker.
- Nikolajsen, RPH, GS Chirica, Y Fintschenko, JP Kutter. (2005). Electro-driven separation methods on chips. Electro-driven separation methods on chips Y Fintschenko, JP Kutter, ed. Marcel Dekker.
- Chirica, GS, RW Crocker, KD Patel. Variable flow control apparatus. U.S. Patent 11/237,093.
- Patel, K, GS Chirica, B Crocker. Electrokinetic variable flow restrictor. U.S. Patent 10/314,707.
- Chirica, GS, Renzi, RF, Simmons, BA. Microliter scale solid phase extraction devices. U.S. Patent 11/044,788.
Top of page ^
|2001 – present
||Research Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA
|1991 – 1996
||Senior Research Associate, Petroleum Research Institute, Campina Romania
||PhD, Analytical Chemistry (major) and Biochemistry (minor), Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
||BE, Organic Chemistry, University “Babes-Bolyai,” Cluj, Romania
Top of page ^